I am embarking on a new adventure to explore various spiritual paths and beliefs, starting with my own notions. It will start with blog posts and will likely involve interviews with a wide range of seekers and thinkers. There could be a book or two. There could be a documentary.
Let’s see where this path takes us.
Spiritual Free Agent
My mother fled the farm and the Catholic church when she was 18. She raised us to be independent thinkers and make our own choices choice about religious or spiritual beliefs or lack thereof.
When asked, I will often give the following smart-ass answer:
I am an Existential Christ-ian Taoist Shaman with a Buddhist Interpretation. Or perhaps simply a Free Agent.Greg Dixon
I say it mostly as a joke, though it begins to hint at a very broad range of enquiry and experiences.
A Pattern Emerges in the Rearview Mirror
Although I seldom had a plan, there are a few interesting patterns visible when look at the ground I have covered in my life:
- Watched the interviews of Joseph Campbell by Bill Moyes on The Masks of God. I have the books in the locker.
- Visited the headquarters of the Theosophical Society in Adyar, India where they have manuscripts from many different spiritual traditions and a tree descended from the Bodhi tree where Siddhartha achieved Enlightenment and became the Buddha.
- Attended and done video projects with Unity churches, United Churches, and Anglican Churches.
- Did projects with the Masons and Shriners.
- Shot video of a Muslim marriage ceremony and related celebrations.
- Read the Koran, The Book of Morman, the Tao Te Ching, the Tao of Pooh, some of the Old Testament, different translations of the New Testament, and tried reading the Bhagavad Gita. Not a master of any of the texts.
- Visited the Tirumala Venkateswara Temple at Tirupati, India.
- Toured Islamic sites in India.
- Used a passage from Kahlil Gibran’s The Prophet in my first wedding. There was a line about “Let there be space in your togetherness.”
Indeed, there has been a few partners and over 5,000 Kilometres between us. We are still connected, though.
- Been willing to try to understand the beliefs of any woman I was involved with.
- Spent time in Hong Kong, Singapore, and Malasia.
- Have some Buddhist connections.
- Spent a considerable amount of time with a Native artist shaman.
- Have participated in and witnessed various Native ceremonies.
- Am in awe of the natural world. As Albert Einstein said: “Not only is the universe stranger than we think, it is stranger than we can think.”
Always a guest observer, never a member.
The Path Ahead
There will be blogs and articles on topics that include things like:
- New Thought and the Unity Movement
- Why Christ-ian and not Christian
- Prophets and Enlightened Masters
- Why Taoism Resonates With Me
- First Nation Wisdom On Multiple Levels
- We Are All Related
- Bizarre Interpretations of Jesus Feeds the Five Thousand
- Rumi, Kahlil Gibran, William Blake, and other writings.
- Wonder of the Cosmos
- The Miracle of Life
- The Gardener
- Why Many Eastern Traditions are Not Religions
- The God of Your Understanding
- Past Life Experiences
If you are inclined to dogma and fundamentalism, you will probably resist almost everything I will write about.
If you want to explore a range of perspectives, then this could be for you.
Join Our Mailing List
Join our list to receive notices about new posts, articles, and videos related to Walking This Path ~ An Exploration of Spiritual Perspectives.